Friday, August 19, 2011

Non Toxic Paint for Kids

Tomorrow is our final Picasso's in the Park for the summer. It's one of my favourite events that we put on for Winnipeg moms and kids. It got me thinking of this paint recipe that I use to make a lot when my daughter was a young baby, just learning and exploring with paints for the first time. I wanted to make sure her first paint experiences where with non-toxic, natural stuff as she put everything in her mouth.


My little picasso painting in the dining room. I start them young! :)

Although there are paints on the market that are advertised as non-toxic I thought I'd look into making my own.  It's a fun project that you can do with your kids and it's cheap. You can't buy non-toxic paint that is this cheap. And you probably already have all these ingredients in your cupboard.

What you will need:
  • 1 Tbsp Vinegar
  • 1 Tbsp Baking Soda 
  • 4 Tbsp Corn Starch
  • 1 Tbsp Light Corn Syrup
  • Food Colouring
  • Paint trays / plastic containers / muffin tray
Stir the baking soda and the vinegar in a bowl. It will start to foam.  This is the part that the kids will love! Allow the foam to settle and add a few drops of food colouring until you get your desired colour. Stir in the corn syrup and the corn starch.  Pour into the container and allow to harden.  Now repeat for each colour that you would like.

This is like water-based paint, so best to use paper meant for finger painting.  Happy Painting!



 We used a muffin tin to keep the paint in. This way it was low enough for my daughter to reach into and wouldn't tip over either.



I always say, if my daughter ends up messy, dirty and needs a 
bath by noon then it's been a fun day!

1 comment:

  1. Great idea! Never even thought of making our own paint. And it's fun to see baby pics of Bella. Adorable! :)

    ReplyDelete